8.09.2005

Episode Two: Hunter S. Thompson









I might as well follow up with the guy Whose name I could not remember on my inaugural show!

Hunter S. Thompson

Thomspon recently blew his brains out so there has been a flurry of gonzo related news bits out there. the one I like the best was a contest to see who could come up with the best way to carry out Thompson wish to have his ashes blasted into the atmosphere through a cannon. You might laugh or you might cry, but the truth is that it looks like his desire will be met by a loyal family and friends aided through the deep pockets of Johnny Depp who has committed to make it happen.

It is all going to happen soon, as well. Thompson's liftoff is set for August 20th, 2005 somewhere near his home of Woody Creek, Colorado. Can you believe I have actually been to Woody Creek? A friend of mine got married there!!

My interest in Thompson may have come initially through "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas", but to be honest the works that made me a real fan are "Hell's Angels: The Strange and Terrible Saga of the Outlaw Motorcycle Gangs" and "Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail 1972". Both books are a staggering reads of gonzo madness which somehow captures a reality for more believable and interesting than reading through "normal" journalistic accounts of the same events.

Here is the bad news. I did find the 1977 Boulder, Co discussion that has been floating around and though it does give some glimpse into the troubled, yet fascinating mind of the good Dr. I would not say it is not by a long shot the most exciting piece of audio I am going to present.

With that said, have a listen and take what you want from it.

Hunter S. Thompson
UC Auditorium
Boulder,CO
11/01/1977

I wiki'd him as well, I think I will Wiki all my SoundBytez guests, and there is plenty o' info worth looking at, I thought I would end with this:

Hunter S. Thompson's Famous quotations
A slogan of Thompson's, "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro," appears as a chapter heading in Kingdom of Fear. He was also quoted as saying, "I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." Another one of his favorite sayings, "Buy the ticket, take the ride," is easily applied to virtually all of his exploits.

No comments: